LADY SLATERS SPRINTING AT NEW INTENSITIES

Tori Tarallo, Reporter

The 2018 track season has the Lady Slaters faster on their feet than ever before. They have been consistently practicing since March, improving their speed and elevating their stamina. The hard work and demanding practices have shaped many of the stand out sprinters this season.  

Freshman Mylaina Schippers is making a bold entrance in her first high school track season, proving to be a threat to her hurdling competition with an impressive personal record of 19.10s. 

“This season I am determined to get my PR down to the 17s range and make it to leagues,” Schippers said. “For me, it’s really important that I get all my priorities taken care of so I can practice. At practices, I plan on racing other members of the track team that are fast, so I can get my time down.” 

Sprinting with determination in her steps, junior Montana Ott is on a roll. Hurdling since freshman year and with a personal record of 17s flat, Ott has been improving and pushing herself to new limits each season.  

“I started hurdling freshman year and I loved it. It is difficult and keeps presenting challenges for me,” Ott said. “I am currently working on 3 stepping, which is how many steps you take between hurdles. I am hoping that this cuts down my time so I can break 16s and be in the 15s range.” 

Junior Elyse Ippolito is another standout hurdler, coming in with a 17.1s personal record. She plans on working harder and practicing more this season to reach her goal of placing at leagues. 

“I am most excited to see how much the team improves and works together. I believe we will continue to practice harder and push each other to new limits this season,” Ippolito said. 

Sprinting at a remarkable 1.04 minute, senior Amelia O’Brien is exceling in the 400m race.  

“The 400m is definitely one of the toughest events, if not the toughest. To run it you need to be fast, but also have the stamina to keep your speed up for the whole race,” O’Brien said. “The last 100 meters of the 400 is definitely the post painful thing I have ever experienced in my life.”  

Sophomore Ventura Ortiz is making it to the finish line fast. She participates in the 100m, 200m, and 4 x 1. As a sophomore, her personal best is in the 100m where her record is 14.5s. 

“I am working harder and lifting more weights, so I gain more muscle, I also have been practicing running off my block, so I gain speed in the beginning and then fall,” Ortiz said. “It is my goal to run 14s flat by the end of the season.” 

Everyone in the community is looking forward to seeing what the Lady Slater sprinters will continue to offer this season, alongside their tough grind and perseverance.