QUARRY CREW FIRES UP SLATER NATION

GG Murgia, Editor

With football season in full gear, there’s no group more supportive of the team than Bangor High’s Quarry Crew. Senior leaders Ben Holland, Joey Lavigna, Eric Lyon, and Nick Mazzella fire up the crowd as the football team tears it up on the field.

The football team kicked off the season on August 24 against the Catasauqua Rough Riders with a solid 42-12 win. Eager Quarry Crew members arrived at the park at 5:30 p.m. to paint up and show their spirit. Sporting their finest “Maroon Monsoon” attire with hand-printed faces and Bangor tees, students were pumped for the game to begin.

“I loved having Maroon Monsoon as the first theme for this football season because I believe there is no better theme than that to show the Slater pride within the community,” senior Jenna Learn said.

After being voted Best Student Section by Lehigh Valley Live in 2014 and 2015, and Best Student Fans in 2016 and 2017, the leaders had huge expectations for the first game of the 2018 season.

“We expect and are going to strive to be the Best Student Section in the Lehigh Valley,” Mazzella said. “We always want as many people in the stands as possible and we strive to be as loud as we can.”

Crew members made their way up to the field and quickly filled the bleachers. Whether it was dancing along to the band’s rendition of “Pretty Fly” or boarding the Slater Express, members were thrilled to participate in Quarry Crew traditions that never get old.

“I love the feeling of being in the Quarry Crew,” junior Emilee Brewer said. “I’ve been going to games all three years and I love the fact that I get to cheer on the football team with my friends and other people I don’t always hang out with in school.”

Without a doubt, the Quarry Crew’s loud cheering and tremendous amount of support was a key contributor to the team’s home opener victory.

“The Quarry Crew always creates an awesome atmosphere during games,” senior running back Garret DeBoer said. “It’s good to know that we have all our friends watching and supporting us during our games.”

The following week, the Quarry Crew was back at it again as the football team faced Notre Dame. Patriotic crew members cheered on the boys with red, white, and blue apparel. Although the team was unable to crush the Crusaders, dedicated members stayed for the entirety of the game and never stopped cheering.

“Even with the loss against Notre Dame, we still showed our support throughout the entire game,” Lyon said. “We made sure that we continued pushing the players to get fired up and perform their best.”

With only four games in the book, there are still plenty of chances for students to show their school spirit. The Slaters face Northwestern Lehigh September 21.

To find out the theme of the game or any other Quarry Crew updates, make sure to follow them on Twitter @BHSQuarryCrew.