KOZINSKI AND PONGRACZ CROWNED HOMECOMING KING AND QUEEN

GG Murgia, Editor

The Slater community was proud to announce Zak Kozinski and Trinity Pongracz as the 2018 homecoming king and queen on September 28.

The day was full of exciting homecoming festivities, beginning with the annual parade. The homecoming court was treated like royalty as they made their way down from the middle school to the high school on a decorated tractor-trailer. Fall senior athletes followed the court, high-fiving and waving to mini-Slaters along the way.

“Besides jumping in the puddles in my rainboots, my favorite part about being in the parade was singing the alma mater with Coach Hartzell next to me at every school and walking with all of the seniors on the cross-country team,” senior cross-country runners Hannah Frankenfield said. “I really cherish each moment spent with my team, and this was just another great memory to have with them.”

Once the parade made its way back to the high school, it was time for the pep rally to begin. Students quickly filled the bleachers as the band played some of its best stand tunes.
After the cheerleaders led the students in a few cheers, Marino Bubba announced each member of the homecoming court as they made their way to the center of the gym. Students cheered on their fellow classmates as each name was announced.

Of course, it wouldn’t be a pep rally without a little Clash of the Classes competition. Once again, the cheerleaders led their respective grade in a class cheer. Each grade gave it their all, but in the end, the sophomores were deemed the loudest and rewarded the spirit stick.

During halftime of the football game later that evening, it was finally time for the homecoming king and queen to be announced. To save their shoes from a muddy disaster, the court walked on the track as their name was announced.

To make the night even more special, alumni royalty Martina Sell and Kyle Mabus came to the game to crown this year’s king and queen.

The moment everyone was waiting for finally arrived and Slater Nation was delighted to hear that Pongracz was Bangor’s newest queen.

“It was a really good feeling knowing that my school voted for me to be queen,” Pongracz said. “I remember looking up at the stands and seeing my friends and family cheering me on when they announced my name. It was all very overwhelming, but in the best way possible.”

Now that the queen was announced, the crowd anxiously awaited to see who would become king. Everyone erupted into cheer as Kozinski tossed his cowboy hat into the air before being crowned by Mabus.

“I was pretty excited when I found out I was king; the feeling was just like winning the round robin at Plainfield Farmers’ Fair,” Kozinski said. “I just want to thank everyone for voting me because it really means a lot.”

Without a doubt, there is no better pair than Pongracz and Kozinski to represent the school and community. Slater Nation is excited to see what the future holds for the two as they complete their final year at Bangor High School.