NITTOLI WRESTLING DISTRICT CHAMPION

Meagan Hoffman, Editor-in-Chief

Senior wrestler Nick Nittoli recently competed at Districts, and was ultimately crowned District Champion after pinning Easton’s Andrew Balukas. Nittoli’s name will now be added to the prestigious Wrestling District Champion banner in the Bill Pensyl Gymnasium at Bangor High School after an impressive 27-4 winning season.

“It’s a satisfying feeling knowing that everyone who walks into the gym from here on out will be able to recognize my accomplishments as they look up at that maroon and white banner with my name on it,” Nittoli said. “I feel so proud to be the next District Champion since we haven’t had one since 2014, which was Charlie Sell.”

At age four, Nittoli’s passion for wrestling was sparked by his older brother, Anthony. Since then, his love for the sport has taken off.

“I really enjoyed watching my brother wrestle on the mat, with all the attention on the single match taking place, so I decided I wanted to try it out for myself,” Nittoli said.

Fast forward through 14 years of numerous wrestling matches and countless practices, Nittoli knew going into his final season as a Slater wrestler that there were steps he needed to take to ensure a successful season.

“I wrestled a lot over the summer. I even went to Fargo, North Dakota to wrestle for Team Pennsylvania in the categories Freestyle and Greco Roman Style,” Nittoli said. “I also started to practice my skills six days a week.”

Bulked up to 220 pounds, Nittoli poses a threat to anyone that gets on the mat with him. 

“Stepping off of the mat after beating your opponent is such a rewarding feeling because it’s physical proof that all of your hard work is finally paying off,” Nittoli said. “It’s just an overall good feeling.”

A passion like Nittoli’s is a fire that none can put out, which is why he plans to continue his wrestling career at the collegiate level.

“Besides the financial perspective, wrestling is something I knew I wanted to continue as long as I could, so furthering my career in college only seems like the best next step for me,” Nittoli said.

While in college, Nittoli plans to major in criminal justice, following in his grandfather’s footsteps.

“I’ve wanted to be a police officer ever since I saw a picture of my grandfather’s badge. He was a Marine, detective, and police officer so I knew I wanted to be just like him,” Nittoli said.

Nittoli will be advancing to States for wrestling and will compete on March 7-9. Good luck, Nick!