ALL HAIL RECORD-BREAKING HOLLAND

Emma Naysmith, Editor in Chief

Senior field hockey captain and scoring phenomenon, Kaylee Holland broke the Slater field hockey record for the most career goals scored September 7, 2021. 

The record, held by Susan Cuifo since 2006 (69 goals), was surpassed by Holland who now possess a running total of 73 career goals.  

“This was never a goal of mine until the end of junior year when I heard I could possibly break it,” Holland said. “My entire high school career, it has never been about scoring goals, it has just been about doing what my coaches told me and realizing my purpose on my team for the first three years was to score.” 

Starting varsity since freshman year, Holland played a crucial role in the historic 2018 field hockey team which earned both league and district titles, made state quarter finals, and set the record for most wins in a single season. The following season once again with Holland’s contribution, the Slaters were able to win back-to-back district titles. 

“My favorite Slater hockey memory was easily my freshman year, winning the Colonial League Championship against Southern Lehigh,” Holland said. “I have never wanted to win so badly in my life and my passion and love for the game skyrocketed right in that moment.” 

Holland originally set her literal goals of breaking records with the immense support of her loving family and of course continued inspiration through her father, Bron Holland, and his enormous impact on the institution of Slater athletics (no pun intended).   

“It is an extremely tremendous honor to be on a list alongside of him. It is most rewarding that I did this on my own, in my own sport, and made a name for myself,” Holland said.  

Furthering her passions and love for the game, Holland intends to continue her field hockey career whether it be at the collegian or intramural level, all of which would not be possible without her incredible work ethic and ability to better herself for the sake of her team.  

“Always stay humble and work hard for yourself. If you put in the hard work, you will only make your team more successful and it will hopefully inspire others to put in just as much work as you,” Holland said.