WEIDMAN RUNS LIKE THE WIND TO STATE CROSS COUNTRY RACE

Emma Naysmith, Editor in Chief

Cross country sensation and two-time team captain Trever Weidman, after a career of (running) trials and tribulations, has qualified for the PIAA State Cross Country race (Nov. 6, Hershey, PA). 

Since 8th grade, Weidman, with his determined work ethic and ability to literally go the extra mile, began dreaming of the day he would be a state qualifier.  

Weidman learned, through the successes of older teammates such as Martina Sell, Morgan O’Brien, and Marino Bubba, how to attain greatness and was ready to work towards his goals.  

“My drive to be a states runner was definitely from the legend himself, Morgan O’Brien,” Weidman said. “My motivation blossomed from the old runners, but my team now also gave me motivation to show them that with hard work, determination and a hunger to perform, that anything is possible.” 

The importance of belonging to a team and the value of shared successes—and losses — was instilled early in Weidman’s freshman year when the boys fell just short of qualifying for states as a team. 

“When freshman year came, we were so close to going to states as a team. But as the saying goes, the rug was swept from under us, and we didn’t make it,” Weidman said.  

Flash forward to his junior cross country season, Weidman had the opportunity to lead his team as captain and now had a realistic shot at qualifying for the coveted state race.  

Sophomore year was Marino’s year of fame, though, after that, all eyes were turned on me,” Weidman said. “The summer going into my junior year was Covid-19 and it took a toll. Mentally, I was destroyed because that winter (2019-2020) I was training for track, but Covid-19 shut that down. So, I was basically meandering into my junior year of cross country.” 

Averaging about twenty miles a week, Weidman worked to improve his race and could finally see states as a realistic goal his junior season.  

Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, a limited number of runners were selected to compete at the state level, and unfortunately, Weidman fell just short of achieving his dreams.  

“After getting to districts for track my junior year, I realized that states this year (2021) was possible. I put in a lot of work over the summer due to that fact that I would be haunted and full of regret if I didn’t make it,” Weidman said.  

Weidman dedicated himself completely to improving both his physical and mental race game in preparation for his final attempt at this long-lasting goal.  

“I ran during the days no one wants to run. The cold snowy days, the days where the rain hits you in the face and drips down your face and the days during the summer where the sun punishes you,” Weidman said.  

After a less than ideal time of 18.34 at the Colonial League race, Weidman left it all on the course at the dreaded DeSales District XI race and finally qualified for states with a time of 18.08.  

“My mindset changed insanely as the post season emerged due to the pressure of qualifying for states,” Weidman said. “At the league meet I ran poorly, and I then made a plan to fix my errors.”  

As the saying goes, “hard work pays off” and Weidman’s continuous efforts were no exception. Rising to the challenge and giving what could have been his last high school race his absolute all, Weidman was a state qualifier.  

“When I finished, I felt all my muscles seize and I made my way back to the tent. I knew that I had made states and I was so happy. I wanted to shed tears of joy from knowing all the hard work that I had put in time and time before,” Weidman said. “On top of that I had a new PR that was about twenty-five seconds faster, which is a significant margin in distance running.” 

Weidman’s passion for improvement and never-ending determination is of great inspiration to all of #SlaterNation. On behalf of the Slaters, Weidman will race at the boys PIAA State Championships with best wishes and immense support of his running in both the near and far future.