Slaters excited for new school year

Allyson Heard, Editor

Frantic freshmen navigating the hallways, sleepy sophomores trying to unjam their lockers, jumpy juniors already panicking because of their difficult classes, and spontaneous seniors casually making their way to class. These are some of the sights seen throughout the school during the first week back from the never-long-enough summer vacation. 

Freshmen are gradually learning the ins and outs of the high school and where they stand compared to the upperclassmen. 

“I was scared to go to the bathroom because I was afraid I’d get lost, and there are so many people,” freshman Mylaina Schippers said.  

Although it is already their second year in high school, sophomores find the beginning of the new school year easier but just as nerve-wracking as the previous year. 

“I felt a lot more confident this year since I knew where I was going, but I am more stressed about my classes this year,” sophomore Charlie Paynter. 

Juniors, who are now participating in their third and infamously hardest year, begin to stress out about all of the challenging classes they have to take. 

“I’m nervous because I have to take my SATs and plan for college, it’s just rough,” junior Jevon Pennix said. 

As seniors begin their final year, many are experiencing euphoric feelings as they start to complete their ‘lasts’ of high school like their last first day, last homecoming dance, last sports game, and more to come.  

“I want to graduate already,” senior Chris Gianni said. 

Even though it has only been a week, seniors are already showing symptoms of senioritis with zombie-like characteristics and laid-back clothing choices. 

“If I’m being honest with you, I had senioritis last year, but I really love my classes this year,” senior Crystal Renaldi said. 

With a range of high school experience, it is safe to say that all Slaters, no matter their class, are excited to see what this school year has in store.