Happel breaks school record for PATs

Meagan Hoffman, Editor

Senior Jacob Happel recently broke the school record of points after touchdown (PATs) with 8. His predecessor, Chuck Austin, kicked 7 PATs in 1995 versus Salisbury.

Although this may be his first year playing football, Happel has experience with kicking, as he played soccer for almost 9 years. After leaving marching band in high school, he decided that there was more for him to do.

“I knew the team needed a kicker, so I decided to give it a try instead of sitting around and doing nothing,” Happel said. “I definitely do not regret my decision to join the team.”

The entire team also made sure to express their excitement and support for Happel.

“It was a weird feeling at first. We haven’t always had a kicker who could make more than one field goal in a row, let alone 8,” captain Brandon Nemeth said. “When we found out, the entire team gave Happel a round of applause and congratulated him. We are all very proud.”

Happel is ready to tackle the rest of the season, and hopes to continue scoring points.

“Since it’s my first year on the team, I wasn’t sure if I was going to fit in or not, but seeing all of the support from my teammates makes me feel like I truly am a part of the Bangor Slaters football team,” Happel said.