GROLLER FROM SLATER TO NITTANY LION 

Allyson Heard, Editor-in-Chief

Senior Olivia Groller will take her uplifting spirit and spunky personality with her as she goes on to become a Nittany Lion next fall.  

Groller dabbled in softball, soccer, and basketball throughout her four years of high school. With this abundance of sports knowledge under her belt, Groller decided to try managing the boys basketball team.  

“Being the basketball manager is pretty fun, and I’m basically the team mom along with Madelin Bussenger. All the guys on the team are easy to get along with and it’s fun to be able to watch them play and the coaches are super nice. Being the manager gives me something to do in the winter and still be involved with basketball and be with my friends. It’s always a great time,” Groller said. 

As team mom Groller must make sure each player is prepared for every game and is in charge of the team’s book and keeping the boys hydrated during game time.  

“Olivia does a great job at making sure we have water and clean towels and taking care of the books. She’s really fun to have at practices and games at well,” senior forward Hunter Kish said. 

With the basketball season in full swing, Groller hasn’t had much time to focus on anything else, let alone prepare for her own sport, softball. 

Although Groller won’t be bringing her talent with her to University Park, she plans on making the most out of her senior season at Bangor. 

“Softball always was really fun to me when I was young because the game is very interesting and you never know where the hits are going to go or how hard they’re going to be,” Groller said. “I love the feeling when you get a good hit or have a nice throw because softball is difficult and takes a lot of patience and accuracy.”  

As Groller’s senior season quickly approaches, a sense of nostalgia rushes over her as she realizes this will in fact be her final softball season. 

“I’m still undecided if I’m going to join an intramural softball team but playing for Bangor is definitely something I’ll miss. Being able to represent our school and win as many championships as we did the past few years was pretty neat,” Groller said. 

Outside of sports, Groller’s peppy energy is displayed for all during pep rallies, dances, and any sort of fun activity. 

“Livy’s school spirit is definitely a hard one to match. I think the class of 2018 wins the spirit stick so much because she is so loud. You would be lying if you said you couldn’t hear her voice specifically when they’re chanting,” junior Jenna Learn said.  

Groller’s positive vibes also tends to rub off on her peers as well, making events entertaining for all.  

“Olivia is someone who makes every situation fun and radiates energy no matter where she is. She is always someone that can cheer you up,” senior Martina Sell said. “Olivia has a lot of school spirit, knows how to motivate others to participate in activities, and is a great representative for our class.” 

Groller’s cheerfulness will be missed as she moves to the next step in life, college. She plans to study geology at Penn State Main Campus.  

“As a geologist, I will study the solid and liquid matter that constitutes the Earth as well as the processes that shape it like earthquakes, landslides, floods, and volcanic eruptions to survey land and draw up safe building plans,” Groller said. “I’ll also look into oil, natural gas, water and methods to extract these.” 

Groller looks forward to attending Penn State to pursue her interest in geology as well as continuing to spread her cheerful energy throughout the campus.