JUMANJI: AN ADVENTURE BROUGHT TO LIFE

Gabby Zeeman, Editor

With its joyous acting and outstanding design, the entertaining film, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, is a must see for viewers of all ages.  

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle is an amazing tribute to the children’s book by Chris Van Allsburg as well as a remake of the original movie released in 1995 starring Robin Williams as Alan Parrish. Directed by Jake Kasdan, the PG-13 rated motion picture presents the well-known story in a new, fun way.  

The movie begins when four high school students who don’t even know each other receive detention. While cleaning up the school’s storage room as part of their punishment, Spencer (Alex Wolff), Fridge (Ser’Darius Blain), Bethany (Madison Iseman), and Martha (Margan Turner) discover an ancient video game. The guys – being guys – decide to play the game instead of completing their detention work, and convince the girls to also try it.  

After each chooses a character, they all become transported into the game as that particular avatar.  

With only three lives, the four players must venture to one of the most dangerous places they have ever seen, face their fears, work together, and survive the game in order to return to the real world. 

The various plot changes that occur throughout are what truly give the film its sense of humor. Most notably, each character selects an avatar that has a completely different personality than they actually possess. 

Much of the humor is derived from these avatars. Spencer – the nerd – becomes Dr. Smolder Bravestone, a fearless muscle man (played by Dwayne Johnson), Fridge – the buff football player – turns into Moose Finbar, a short man with a weakness of cake (played by Kevin hart), Bethany – the popular girl in school – becomes Professor Shelly Oberon, a plump middle-aged man (played by Jack Black), and Martha – a smart and shy student – transforms into Ruby Roundhouse, an attractive athletic red head (played by Karen Gillan).  

As the avatars venture to save their own lives, the excellent scenery truly stands out. The intricate details within the rainforest present various obstacles that each character faces within nature itself – trying to outrun wildlife, fight against enemies, and attempt to find their way through the greens – giving viewers a feast for the eyes.   

Overall, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle is an outstanding film. Despite it being a remake, this movie really had a voice of its own. The movie presents a comical and adventurous setting throughout the entire plot.