RUNNING TOWARDS A VICTORY

Montana Cassaro, Reporter

Led by Coach Vidumsky, the girls long distance track and field team is bringing their best runners to the starting line. After months of preparation in the offseason, the girls are coming out strong. 

“We just have to take one practice and one meet at a time, to stay calm, and to stay confident,” senior Martina Sell said. “We also have to trust in what events coach puts us in because they know what’s best for us and the team.”  

With returning senior runners Tatum Strohe and Sell, the girls plan to make this their best season as they accomplish their goals.  

“I hope to beat my mile time, excel in the 800 meter, and to try new things,” Strohe said. 

As both seniors prepare to end their last season as Slaters, they push themselves beyond their limits. 

“This season I’m hoping to make districts and improve on my personal records that I set for myself the first meet of this season,” Martina Sell said. 

In hopes to follow these strong seniors, an important asset to the girls distance team this year, freshman Kara Hartzell, excels in her events. 

“My personal record for the 800m is three minutes flat. I feel good about it, but if I could lower my time that would be even better,” Hartzell said. “I just have to relax and run my hardest.” 

As competition gets harder, the Lady Slaters plan to improve in each meet while they all grow closer as a family.  

This year, every runner is going above and beyond as they continue to push each other to the best of their abilities.  New member of the distance team, Rori Wagner, has put in a lot of effort to become a better runner. 

“The team is super influential. We always cheer each other on. It’s such a great atmosphere to be a part of,” freshman Wagner said. 

With outstanding runners and their determination to do well, the girls distance team will surely dominate the Colonial League.