2018 HOMECOMING KING’S REIGN COMES TO A CLOSE 

Allyson Heard, Editor in Chief

Homecoming king, tennis star, and future accountant senior Kyle Mabus is ready for his future as a Husky at Bloomsburg University as his high school career ends. 

This past fall, Mabus’ loving and selfless personality was showcased for all of Bangor to see when he was crowned homecoming king by his fellow peers. 

“Honestly it felt amazing to be crowned homecoming king. I will forever cherish that moment,” Mabus said.  

Luckily, Mabus didn’t let his head get too big. 

“I have not used my royalty to my advantage because I do not want to be recognized as a dictator. I’d rather just be a ceremonial figurehead like Queen Elizabeth,” Mabus said. 

Mabus ruled over his people as he cheered, chanted, and chatted away in the lively Quarry Crew during football and basketball games. 

“My favorite part of being in the Quarry Crew was the atmosphere of the games, and students, but my favorite memory was when the football team beat Pen Argyl,” Mabus said. “The Quarry Crew has the reputation of being the best student section in the Lehigh Valley, most likely because the Quarry Crew is always at games and always make a lot of noise.” 

Mabus brings this Slater spirit with him to the high school tennis team. Mabus’ tennis skills flourished as he made his way up the ladder to third singles. 

“My favorite memory from tennis was when Brayden Beltrano and I beat Whitehall in 3 sets,” Mabus said.  

Mabus’ competitive drive transfers over to home when he battles it out with his best friend, Hunter Kish, in 2k. 

“Hunter is terrible at 2k, but he’s a good sport when he loses, which is every time,” Mabus said. 

Thanks to his lifelong friend, Mabus always knew who he could count on when times get tough. 

“We have been friends since our preschool days at Little Rays Daycare. We have the same interests and love to compete against each other, so I think that’s why we are such great friends,” Mabus said.  

As if balancing schoolwork and athletics weren’t tough enough, Mabus also held jobs at Blue Mesa and Chocolates on Broadway to help prepare himself for the real world, give himself a financial head start, and to beef up his resumes. 

“Both jobs taught me how to have great work ethic, but my favorite job was definitely Chocolates on Broadway because all the other employees were friendly, and I enjoyed going to work,” Mabus said. 

This upcoming fall at Bloomsburg University, Mabus will put his ambition to the test as he pursues his lifelong dream of becoming an accountant. 

“The campus at Bloomsburg was really nice, they have a lot to offer, and it felt like home,” Mabus said. 

At Bloomsburg, Mabus will work tirelessly to prove that he can handle the rigorous courses while studying to become an accountant and getting involved on campus. 

“I plan on trying out for their tennis team and I might try table tennis intramural,” Mabus said.  “I have been born with incredible abilities and I want to test my talents against some other ping pong players.” 

No matter what Mabus does, the Slater Nation will always be proud of their homecoming king.