GIRLS BASKETBALL (2022)

Mac Karner, Reporter, Emma Naysmith, Editor in Chief

The state qualifying Lady Slater basketball, with the instruction of head coach Edward Ziegenfuss and captain Mac Karner, completed a memorable season with an impressive record of 19-9.

With credit to hard work and unwavering dedication, the Slaters captured exciting regular season wins over Notre Dame G.P. (45-41), Southern Lehigh (54-23), and Moravian (63-41).

Continuing their successes into the post-season, the Slaters took crucial wins over Selinsgrove (48-41) and Shikellamy (55-53), qualifying them to the District XI championship. Here, the Slaters faced Bethlehem Catholic and despite best efforts, suffered a 41-28 loss.

The Slaters utilized everything from this point of the season to prepare for the PIAA 5A State tournament where they faced Pittston and earned a 40-39 win.

Building off their win, the team entered the second round of states with a formula composed of passion and experience. Sadly, a season full of hard-earned wins ended here as the Slaters endured a difficult 58-46 loss.

TIME TO CELEBRATE! The Lady Slaters huddle together after a historic state playoff win. They were the only team at Bangor to win a home playoff game; they finished their season with a 19-9 record. (Juli Miller)
ICE IN HER VEINS! Freshman standout Avery Nelson shoots over Pittston’s Daniella Ranieli on March 9, 2022, during the first round of the state tournament. Nelson completed the season with 34 three pointers. (Lynn Cistone)
SMILE FOR THE CAMERA! Junior Jayleigh Figurski stuns the crowd with a team selfie during Senior Night introductions. The Lady Slaters had a season full of laughs and love, which noticeably elevated their play until the final buzzer. (Jayleigh Figurski)
WATCH OUT! Senior forward Emily Ohland drives past a Notre Dame defender towards the basket on January 25, 2022. Ohland used her senior leadership abilities to guide the Lady Slaters into the postseason. (Lynn Cistone)
ALL IN! Sophomore Julia Pinter dives for a loose ball against Wilson in the season opener on December 14, 2022. Pinter had a breakout year, averaging 7.7 points and 2.5 rebounds per game in the final month of the season. (Christmas City Studio)